


Sixty one years ago on a May afternoon, my father walked into Stout Pontiac in Malden, Massachusetts. He was there to pick up his new, two tone grey, 1947 Pontiac Torpedo Six sedan with an out-the-door price of $1,942.05. The invoice of that transaction went into his filing cabinet for the next fifty years. Recently, He asked me if I would be interested in some "old paperwork" that was being thrown away. I'm glad I said yes. It's not only a tiny slice of his life from postwar America but an interesting look at the optional equipment and accessories dealers offered back then and his efforts to decipher them (they totaled up to almost 1/4 of the price of the car). Also worth mentioning, the 47' model he was purchasing new was really not that much changed from the 41' model he was trading in... the postwar 46'-47' Pontiacs were entirely prewar in design and specifications. Regardless, the Torpedo was one stylish looking ride for it's day.
0 comments:
Post a Comment